Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Tribute to GT

August of 2006, I was just transfered to Newbury, England to reopen the area after it being shut down for 5 years. It had to be one of the hardest things I did on my mission. There was one thing that made it even more difficult. Our first real P-Day was actually the week after we transfered the only place we found to email our families was a little internet cafe that charged us 10 pence a minute, kind of a rip off but we were desperate. I only remember one email that I read that week. It was from my Mom. All that she had to say was that my Grandpa Tanner had died and that things were pretty hectic. I'm sure there was more to the email but I do not remember it.
At that moment I realized that the only real grand father I had, just departed this world and I did not really know him. There was one specific memory that I could recall at that moment of utter shock. My last trip to Escondido, California to visit him was to pretty much say hi. We stayed there pretty late just visiting him and talking about the car that my dad had bought him. I wasn't being very observant, but i remember they were talking about rims for the car. Dinner was rolling around so my Grandma Gloria called down to the local pizza place and ordered a pizza. When the time rolled around my Grandpa suggested that he and I take the new car to pick up the pizza. This was the first time that I ever know of that he and I were a lone and spending time together. Getting this old hot rod out of their make shift driveway was quiet the chore, but him letting me drive was euphoric and I couldn't have imagined anything better. There was nothing special about our conversation, we just chatted. The drive there and back, eating the pizza and then hugs that for the first time weren't awkward was all of the memory that I really have of him. It did not matter.
It made my work there in Newbury bitter sweet. It made me work harder and for different reasons. So why bring this up now? Its not the anniversary of his death or his birthday. Well Back in August my Dad and I finally made time to travel to California and pick up the decaying car. It was the best road trip my Dad and I have ever taken. We had a blast. Well after getting the car out of the mountains and into the Imperial Valley I snapped a few shots with my phone and wanted to put them up here on my blog. Who knows maybe this might turn into a real blog.

Here is it: 1935 Buick Coupe.




No comments:

Post a Comment